Meet your school counselor: Kim Arasato
Ms. Arasato, our School Counselor has many roles at Brittan Acres School, including:
- Supporting students on the playground through conflict resolution using our Kelso’s Choice Program.
- Consulting with parents and teachers to help with social and emotional concerns.
- Facilitating small group sessions for students on special topics such as social skills, coping skills, changing families/divorce, self-esteem, and emotional regulation. Parent permission and teacher approval are required for small group participation.
- Teaching our Safety Child Protection Unit using Second Step.
- Teaching Kelso’s Choice and Zones of Regulations Curriculum
- Short term one on one student counseling
- Coordinating the school-wide kindness week challenge.
- Providing referrals and resources for students and families needing extra support.
Parents are welcome to contact Ms. Arasato by email or through the school office.
School Counselor, MEd, PPSC
Brittan Acres Elementary School
Brittan Acres Office Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays
- SCSD Elementary School Counselors Resource Website
- The Science of Character and SEL, video
- 5 keys to social and emotional learning success, video.
- Books That Heal Kids, blog
- SCSD Counseling and Mental Health
- A list of children’s books that support social-emotional learning.
- Child Protection: Information and Resources
- Why Elementary School Counselors?
- Virtual Calming Room, “Stop, Name Your Feeling, Calm Down” developed by SCSD elementary school counselors
- Second Step Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) Program
- Emotion Regulation through Zones of Regulation
- Working with anxiety in children
- Care Solace is a free, confidential service that connects students, families, and staff from the San Carlos School District to mental health or substance abuse services. Click the link or call (888) 515-0595 to get started.